2 oz. LAST Tape Preservative & 4 swabs
Magnetic tape starts to lose data within 8 years and can become totally unreadable within 20 years – eventually the recording is lost forever. LAST Tape Preservative substantially increases the life of the tape by providing protection from the environment (moisture) and mechanical wear. Just one application protects for the life of the tape.
Not a coating – Not a film – Leaves no residue
Moisture and oxidation are the top causes of tape degradation. They damage the binder of the tape, which is made of acetate or polyester. LAST Tape Preservative stops that deterioration and stabilizes the binder. It also dramatically reduces the friction at the tape/head interface – extending the life of the tape up to 10 times.
LAST Tape Preservative:
- Significantly reduces data loss from magnetic tape
- Protects the binder from deterioration by humidity
- Extends the life of heads and guides
- Reduces tape wear and distortion
- Reduces tape abrasiveness and scrape flutter
- Improves playback performance and high frequency response
- Increases S:N ratio
- Extends tape life by up to 10 times
This kit contains
- A 2 oz. bottle of Tape Preservative
- 1 precision pipette
- 4 swab applicators
- 16 LAST indicator dots (to mark which tapes have been treated)
This 2 oz. bottle will treat 17-20 tapes that are 1800 feet long, and 1/4″ wide.
Note: Your bottle of preservative will not spoil. Our samples from 37 years ago are still good and show no signs of deterioration upon chemical testing.